Palmieri-Goff Family lines!!!
Notes for Nathaniel ALEXANDER
Nathaneil was a freeman at Northampton May 30 1690.
His Headstone reads "Liutenant Nathaniel Alexander, who died October the 20th, 1742, in th 92d year of his age"
(History of Easthampton: its settlement and growth; its material, educational, and religious interests, together with a genealogical record of its original families. By Payson W. Lyman.
Lyman, Payson Williston, 1842-1924.)
EARLY HISTORY. 13 Hill and lived many years near the house now owned and occupied by Dwight Lyman, but they finally left town. The third settlement in town was commenced in the year 1700, at Pascommuck, by five families, on land now owned by L. W. Parsons, Joseph Parsons, and Gilbert A. Clark. Their names were Moses Hutchinson, who settled farthest west, John Searl, Benoni Jones, Samuel Janes, and Benjamin Janes. In 1704, this village was destroyed by the Indians under circumstances of the most shocking barbarity. A more full account of this massacre -will be given in another place. It was not re-settled until about 1715. The new settlers of Pascommuck, after the slaughter, were Nathaniel Alexander, who married the widow of John Searl, (he having been slain by the Indians,) and lived several years on -his farm. Samuel Janes, Jr., took the place of his father. In 1720, John Lankton purchased the lot originally owned by Benoni Jones. He lived however, only nine years to enjoy it. His widow married a man by the name of Wharton, but for some cause he soon left her and she was for many years known as Widow Wharton. Her son, John Lankton, afterwards removed to West Springfield. His father owned a slave while he lived in Pascommuck, which was valued at ~60 in his inventory. It appears that Joseph Bartlett was also a slaveholder, from the fact that he set two slaves free by his will. There is also a slave mentioned in the list of Mfajor Clapp's estate, but whether it was one that he purchased, or one of those set free by his Uncle Bartlett, (which is not an unlikely supposition,) is not certain. These were doubtless the only cases of slave ownership in town. The place of John Searl was occupied by his son Elisha, after his return from Canada, whither he had been carried by the Indians at the sacking of the village in 1702. Ebenezer Ferry, from Springfield, at a later period,
| HOME | EMAIL | SURNAMES |
Page built by Gedpage Version 2.20 ©2000 on 22 March 2013